Topic: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1
Replies: 17   Last Post: Sep 2, 2013 4:59 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1

Richard, I think a lot of the problem with your failure to get any useful feedback is that you aren't providing the context in which you teach. It seems that you are teaching the "other" track of mathematics. Maybe it would help if you described this "other" track. And by "other" I mean the non honors track.

Note, it is only recently that the "honors" track was called "honors" track. Not too long ago it was just mathematics and the "other" track didn't even have a name (it still doesn't). Also, not long ago, there was another very real and applicable track called "vocational" and it included subjects like business and accounting math. Tragically, mathematics became "honors", the "other" track became what you teach and the vocational track disappeared.

In any event, can you describe this "other" track and what it means to you so that it might help teachers, like myself, put what you post in some sort of context.

Bob Hansen