Topic: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1
Replies: 17   Last Post: Sep 2, 2013 4:59 PM

Richard Strausz

Re: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1

> Richard, I think a lot of the problem with your
> failure to get any useful feedback is that you aren't
> providing the context in which you teach. It seems
> that you are teaching the "other" track of
> mathematics. Maybe it would help if you described
> this "other" track. And by "other" I mean the non
> honors track.

It doesn't seem that many K-12 teachers post on Math Teach in response to any prompts.

> Note, it is only recently that the "honors" track was
> called "honors" track. Not too long ago it was just
> mathematics and the "other" track didn't even have a
> name (it still doesn't). Also, not long ago, there
> was another very real and applicable track called
> "vocational" and it included subjects like business
> and accounting math. Tragically, mathematics became
> "honors", the "other" track became what you teach and
> the vocational track disappeared.
>
> In any event, can you describe this "other" track and
> what it means to you so that it might help teachers,
> like myself, put what you post in some sort of
> context.
>
> Bob Hansen

I choose things to post that I think would be of interest to a variety of math teachers, mostly at the high school level which is where I teach. I'm not sure that my assigned classes are relevant, but this year I am teaching all geometry classes, some 'regular' and the rest 'honors'. Most of the latter students will end up in AP Calculus before they graduate HS. The former students will most likely take Pre-calculus as their final HS course.

Richard