Topic: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Sep 9, 2013 4:45 PM

FredJeffries@gmail.com

Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?

On Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:28:21 PM UTC-7, fom wrote:
> On 8/31/2013 1:57 PM, FredJeffries wrote:
> >> It would be called a Euclidean point space. The
> >> point difference (the additional algebraic structure)
> >> then becomes a ground for a distance function.

> > I could be mistaken, but I believe that what you (and
> > Professor Bowen) call a Euclidean point space is referred
> > to by many others as a real affine space.

> They are closely related.
> See Definition 2.1.1.
>
> "If V does not have an inner product, the set
> E defined above is called an affine space"

Ah, yes. Thanks for the correction. Unfortunately I have not yet
had time to investigate the subject as thoroughly as I would like,
to do more than skim the paper or book ...

Date Subject Author
8/30/13
Read What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Tanu R.
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
William Elliot
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Peter Percival
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/4/13
[...]
JT
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/9/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Narasimham