Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Richard Strausz

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use

> On Sep 1, 2013, at 8:34 AM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> > Bob, are you familiar with the computer language
> LOGO?
>
> Yes, of course.
>

> > I'm interested in its use in geometry teaching not
> so much for sophisticated programming but in giving
> students another vehicle for applying their geometry
> learning. For instance, if I have the 'turtle' travel
> 100 pixels, make a 90 degree turn to the right and
> then travel 50 pixels, how many degrees does it then
> have to turn and how many pixels will it need to
> travel to get back to the starting point?
>
> And if we nailed 2x4s together in the same
> proportions, would you call it "using carpentry to
> teach geometry"?
>
> I think what you are talking about is applying
> geometry to something hands on. But you still have to
> teach it (geometry) first. You have to go to the
> board and teach the pythagorean theorem or law of
> sines and make a reasonable effort to justify[1] its
> validity. And then use it in several imagined cases
> first so that it has mathematical roots (in the
> students' heads). And then do the hands on activity
> and apply it. You will find, if you do it like this,
> that the application of it (geometry) comes easily.
>
> Is that what you mean?

Of course.

> What many teachers do though is put the cart before
> the horse. They start with the activity and talk to
> the math behind it. I am not talking about Dan of
> course. He realized that doing an activity and just
> talking to the math behind it is stupid. So he just
> does the activity.

What you describe in the paragraph above isn't the norm in my room or in classrooms I visit. I do think that it works sometimes to give an activity and have the students try to figure out what is happening.

I haven't seen Dan teach so I can't comment on your description of his classroom.

Richard

> Bob Hansen
>
> [1] justify - show through reason that something is
> true. This does not have to be axiomatic. Except for
> the pure mathematician, most truth in mathematics is
> based on consistency and statements that do not lead
> to contradictions. Much of the justification is
> circular. For example, showing that the pythagorean
> theorem is a special case of the law of sines.

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13