Topic: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1
Replies: 17   Last Post: Sep 2, 2013 4:59 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Will Richardson Why Schools and Algebra 1

Richard Strausz posted Sep 1, 2013 9:11 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9251616):

<snip>
> One that I used in both classes
> last year was Popcorn Picker, which was a big hit
> with many students in both levels.
>
> http://threeacts.mrmeyer.com/popcornpicker/

I believe the name "Popcorn Packer" may be somewhat better a name than the name "Popcorn Picker" that Dan Meyer has given this activity.

I'm not a teacher - but IMHO, it is an EXCELLENT activity which should lead to students developing a sound understanding of various aspects of school algebra. (I don't believe I ever had this exercise when I was in school - it would have helped us all a lot, especially those who might not have otherwise 'got' the important ideas underlying algebra).

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy