Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Richard Strausz

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use

> On Sep 1, 2013, at 5:03 PM, Richard Strausz
> <Richard.Strausz@farmington.k12.mi.us> wrote:
>

> >> I think what you are talking about is applying
> >> geometry to something hands on. But you still have

> >> teach it (geometry) first. You have to go to the
> >> board and teach the pythagorean theorem or law of
> >> sines and make a reasonable effort to justify[1]

> its
> >> validity. And then use it in several imagined
> cases
> >> first so that it has mathematical roots (in the
> >> students' heads). And then do the hands on

> activity
> >> and apply it. You will find, if you do it like
> this,
> >> that the application of it (geometry) comes
> easily.
> >>
> >> Is that what you mean?

> > Of course.
>
> Of course? Well I guess I will have to wait and see
> what you produce as your actual lesson leading up to
> and surrounding the "popcorn picker" activity. It is
> very difficult for me (or anyone) to imagine that you
> mean "of course" as I wrote it, because in all of the
> years of posting here, you never reference anything
> bearing even a semblance to structured mathematical
> reasoning.

I was agreeing with your first paragraph. I agree that I have to go to the board and teach the content, proving that the Pythagorean theorem is correct and that the law of sines is correct. You may be surprised to learn that just because I teach it some of the students don't learn it... :-)

Richard

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13