Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
att1.html (2.9 K)

On 09/02/2013 11:41 AM, Louis Talman wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 10:53:45 -0600, kirby urner
> <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm against "we've tried that for 60 years and it hasn't worked so
> lets give up.'
>

> I suspect that what you're really against isn't quite that.
>
> You're against Wayne's approach: "We've tried that for 600 years and
> it hasn't worked, so let's keep trying it the same way."

The both of you are pushing "we don't like the approaches of the past
and so think it worthwhile to change even if the change might be for the
worse". Getting my son out of the clutches of the Born A'gin
constructivists of the school district that owns us and into a
St.Sensible, then rescuing him from the watered down algebra they were
about to serve him in the 8th grade for an independent study of the
Dolciani "Structure and Method" Algebra I, were key in getting him a
K-12 math education that wouldn't hold him back.

Common Core is a doubling down on a national level by the self described
reformers. Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a bumpy night. In
yet another parallel to the '90's, the state of California may be on a
path (a bill is moving through the legislature) of stopping all K-12
state testing (the STAR program) and there is no immediate plan on
starting a new testing program anytime soon, so the state's schools will
be flying blind on a Common Core flight plan until some legislature in
the future reinstates some measure besides the CC's boosters saying how
much more math (and everything else) the kids are now learning.

Just another brick in the wall.

-Greg

> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State University of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl
> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/%7Etalmanl>>

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13