Topic: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Replies: 32   Last Post: Sep 9, 2013 4:45 PM

Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz

Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?

In article <6dc55c4a-0f72-4533-b3eb-39daadc61306@googlegroups.com>,
lite.on.beta@gmail.com wrote:

> On Sunday, September 1, 2013 5:05:55 PM UTC-4, Ken Pledger wrote:
> > .... I just call it "vector geometry". Some linear algebra textbooks
> > have a chapter on it.

> Can you name one? Thanks

There are two excellent out-of-print books which concentrate on it:
A. M. Macbeath, "Elementary Vector Algebra", and Seymour Schuster,
"Elementary Vector Geometry". A very through and well-written treatment
that may still be in print is Walter Prenowitz, "Geometric Vector
Analysis and the Concept of Vector Space", which is Chapter VI in the
23rd Yearbook of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics. Any
of those three would be well worth a bit of effort to find.

A modern linear algebra book which starts with the geometry is David
Easdown, "A First Course in Linear Algebra". He introduces geometrical
vectors in Chapter 1, then develops the theory and geometrical
applications in the next few chapters. (My students use this text.)
The well-known book by Howard Anton, "Elementary Linear Algebra" has a
briefer treatment in Chapter 3.

Ken Pledger.

Date Subject Author
8/30/13
Read What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Tanu R.
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
William Elliot
8/30/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
8/31/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Peter Percival
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
fom
9/4/13
[...]
JT
9/1/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
9/3/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
lite.on.beta@gmail.com
9/9/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/2/13
Read Re: What does one call vector geometry without a coordinate system?
Narasimham