Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use

At 09:53 AM 9/2/2013, kirby urner wrote:

>I studied Linear Programming at the Danzig Simplex Algorithm as well.

"At the" as in "at the altar of" is a nice way of putting it. My
next program was compass and straightedge construction of the regular
F(sub n)-gon for F(sub n) prime. Especially given the computer
time/memory/cost limitations of the era, the lack of inherent
recursion in FORTRAN was really frustrating.

>Coding an algorithm oneself is a way to help it sink in.

I haven't had anything to do with our numerical analysis classes for
a long time so I don't know if it still the case or not but, last
time I did, we required at least one project in anybody's favorite
language for exactly that reason.

>Having a crummy language, though, can get in the way.

Dyoo tell.

>Wayne's early edition Linear Algebra text (which I got a copy of)
>has lots of code in the back for doing linear algebra. The language
>(BASIC I think) is not taught in the regular text and in the back
>it's somewhat dense and uncommented. You're just supposed to type
>it in and cross your fingers you didn't make too many typos.

Not the earliest, thanks for remembering, nor the latest. Not only
"cross your fingers" but also "quick and dirty" if you read
carefully. So-called "rational numbers" as ordinary fractions are
phony. They use early BASIC's idea of real arithmetic and just look
for a close fraction. If they can't find one, they revert to
"real". As with the Simplex Algorithm, I wanted something to teach
with and offered the (floppy, while reminiscing) disk for free with
the book. Including (especially!) row reduction of matrices that are
not square and/or determinant of 0; not then easily available for
free in order to completely solve systems of linear equations that
have multiple solutions or no solution.

>But again, technology has moved on, and therefore pedagogy (potentially).

For some things, certainly. But mathematics remains mathematics and
compromising it to genuflect to "technology" is not an appropriate
part of your "therefore".

Wayne

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13