Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

kirby urner

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
att1.html (3.8 K)

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:

> But again, technology has moved on, and therefore pedagogy (potentially).

> For some things, certainly. But mathematics remains mathematics and
> compromising it to genuflect to "technology" is not an appropriate part of
> your "therefore".
>
> Wayne

This attitude is prevalent and I'm suspicious of it.

There's this aloof snobbery of mathematicians towards engineers that gets
cultivated in Anglo academics (at least) i.e. it by now seems engrained in
English itself that math is "pure" (and pure is consider good, like refined
white sugar) whereas engineering is "get your hands dirty" mulatto (hybrid,
impure).

The main reason computer science was made a "science", it seems, was to
keep its infernal "machines" aka "engines" out of the rarefied white collar
world of the kempt Oxford-style Gothic campus.

Schools "of technology" like MIT were allowed to have lots of computers
(ENIAC-looking), but those campuses looked more like factories to begin
with and also have gas fired turbines and other such vulcan machinery.

Engineers are blue collar / dirty, hands blackened with soot.
Mathematicians have a mere pencil behind the ear and stare over their
horn-rimmed glasses at the dirty dwarf-like computer people in the overalls
and say sneering things, as it befits a gentleman to say when the riffraff
get uppity.

All this seems a tawdry kind of theater that the unwitting, the newborns,
the newbies, wander into. They're not properly briefed. No one warns them
what they're in for. They get "tracked" and "tested" for various kinds of
aptitude but no one bothers to tell them the lay of the land e.g. Calculus
Mountain (up ahead, in high school) will be used to weed and winnow, after
which your will have to decide if you're a "real mathematician" whatever
that means.

"Real mathematicians" need to keep their distance from lowly "technology"
an attitude the percolates into K-12 and infects it. The reflexes are
there, at that level too, but no one studies the anthropology.

If computer technology was your first love (the great toys), maybe you'll
need to choose. But then people like Wolfram come along and cloud the
picture. Is Mathematic mathematics? There's an infernal machine
involved. The culture stutters and stammers (for decades on end) unable to
make up its mind. Painted into a corner. By English. Good show.

Again, it seems to boil down to stereotypes and affectations of character
more than to the actual nuts and bolts of any discipline.

Because of such embedded unexamined bigotry of the mathematically aloof,
I've become disenchanted with English-the-language, as it seems an
anthropological pattern that has outlived its usefulness (if it ever had
any) by many generations, yet English hasn't the anti-bodies.

I find myself hoping these silly holdover tribalisms haven't infected all
languages so deeply. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13