Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
att1.html (6.4 K)

On 09/02/2013 10:14 PM, Louis Talman wrote:
> How very interesting.
>
> Lots of storm and fury over how we're being beaten by other countries.
>
> Lots of storm and fury over the possibility "of stopping all K-12
> state testing (the STAR program) and there is no immediate plan on
> starting a new testing program anytime soon".
>
> But no observation that there's a lack of multiple-guess testing in
> those other countries. Those states just aren't interested in
> "accountability". How on Earth can it be that they're better at
> getting the kids to learn mathematics than we are?
>
> Oh, dear! Oh, dear! Oh, dear!

It will be interesting to see if the moderator lets that one through,
Lou. Your usual mocking schoolyard bully tone with a dose of
international straw men being erected, since I don't think I've ever
raised the "beaten by other countries" flag nor did Wayne in his response.

Other countries don't have the inmates running their K-12 asylums. As
far as I'm concerned, testing is only required in the USA because of a
lack of uniform competence in our K-12 teaching and administrator corps,
and especially among the Ed.D. crowd.

-Greg

> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 20:43:12 -0600, Wayne Bishop
> <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
>
> At 03:28 PM 9/2/2013, Greg Goodknight wrote:
>

>> Common Core is a doubling down on a national level by the self
>> described reformers. Fasten your seat belts, it's going to be a
>> bumpy night. In yet another parallel to the '90's, the state of
>> California may be on a path (a bill is moving through the
>> legislature) of stopping all K-12 state testing (the STAR
>> program) and there is no immediate plan on starting a new testing
>> program anytime soon, so the state's schools will be flying blind
>> on a Common Core flight plan until some legislature in the future
>> reinstates some measure besides the CC's boosters saying how much
>> more math (and everything else) the kids are now learning.

> Your education industry dollars at work.
> Friday, August 30, AB484 passed out of California State Senate
> Appropriations Committee and will head to the full State Senate floor.
>
> The intent of the bill is to suspend all state testing and to
> permanently end the STAR testing program that has tracked
> proficiency in California for more than a decade.
>
> Theoretically, the STAR testing program is to be replaced by the
> Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC) tests, but those
> tests have not yet been developed and there are no assurances the
> new tests will be implemented in coming years.
>
> Also AB484 permanently will end all tracking in California of
> Algebra 1 proficiency, including a permanent ban on tracking how
> many California 7th or 8th graders achieve proficiency in Algebra
> at the end of those years. While local school districts may
> provide students options for accelerated mathematics, California,
> as a state, no longer will evaluate or collect data on such pathways.
>
> Theoretically, there will be one math standardized test
> administered in 11th grade at some undecided future year to all
> juniors. That exam will include Algebra 2 as the primary
> evaluated standard, though it is questionable if that test ever
> will make it to students.
>
> Effectively, California will be done, statewide, with any tracking
> or school-to-school comparisons of high school math proficiencies.
> And, California will end data collection of any achievement gaps
> for mathematics between students of different demographics,
> economic backgrounds or geographies.
>
> In other words, if you see some progress - no matter how
> incrementally small - stamp it out before it spreads. That's why
> California recently increased its taxes by public initiative, "for
> the students".
>
> Wayne
>

> --
> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State University of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl
> <http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/%7Etalmanl>>

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13