Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use

Greg Goodknight posted Sep 3, 2013 11:06 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9252405):

<snip>
> As
> far as I'm concerned, testing is only required in the
> USA because of a
> lack of uniform competence in our K-12 teaching and
> administrator corps,
> and especially among the Ed.D. crowd.
>
> -Greg

The simple and quite obvious answer to the dilemma you (i.e., the US educational system) are confronted with is to work on developing (AND implementing) the model:

"To ensure effective schools of education" MAY CONTRIBUTE "To develop basic competence in our K-12 teaching and administrator corps (and especially the Ed.D. crowd" which in turn MAY CONTRIBUTE "To get rid of wasteful testing procedures and protocols". In turn, that may (quite soon) lead us to *effective* processes for needed accountability of all kinds).

The above model (instead of the fatuous slogans chanted by some amongst us) could lead to progress - if the process of modelling all perceived factors in the 'system' using the relationships "CONTRIBUTES TO" and "HINDERS" were to be carried through 'systematically'.

It's a fair bit of work, but it is not impossible to accomplish by any means. Within just a couple of years, you'd have a system that is truly responsive to all situations confronted (including international competition; economic downturns, etc, etc). The ONLY real (and unsolvable) problem is that the systems we have mis-designed over generations may quite soon transgress the limits set by the 2nd law of thermodynamics (assuming those limits have not already been transgressed).

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13