Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Sep 3, 2013 5:32 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9252270):

<snip>
> True, I don't expect all students to get it. I am not
> sure how that leads to doing activities that forgo
> the math altogether. What do the students that get it
> do during this time? Keep their mouths shut?

<snip>
Richard Strausz (RS) has posted (Sep 3, 2013 12:47 PM, http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9252413) that in a typical class about 20% of his students 'get it'.

The teacher who has paid attention to his/her class would know just who those students are. The teacher would generally have prepared for that, and would give them some special problems designed to take them further in their basic algebra. Most teachers would do this without much prompting. To make things abundantly clear, each teacher should have developed his/her own model for a 'Mission' like:

"To give my math class the best learning experience possible".

In that model, for sure there would be 'elements' like "To have sets of advanced problems ready for those students (like Robert Hansen) who 'get it' instantaneously".

Ideally, the school system should have some appropriate sub-system designed to deal with such cases - perhaps special classes; perhaps something else. Even if not, any good teacher would surely have given abundant thought to this 'problem' - and would have developed strategies to deal with those outstanding students.

ALL of the above would almost entirely obvious to anyone who has managed to get beyond PERT Charts. But it would demand that he/she does understand the importance of 'elements' of a system and has clearly understood that it is the relationship "CONTRIBUTES TO" that drives our understanding of the systems within which we work and play. To those who have never managed to get beyond PERT Charts (and the PRECEDENCE relationship), I would only say:

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Roberto, /Than are dreamt of in your PERT Charts, /Even if you've plastered all the walls and all the halls, /(And even the roofs) /Of all the offices wherein you've worked".

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!")

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13