Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
att1.html (3.5 K)

On 09/03/2013 10:56 AM, Louis Talman wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 23:36:43 -0600, Greg Goodknight <good@nccn.net> wrote:
>
> Other countries don't have the inmates running their K-12 asylums.
> As far as I'm concerned, testing is only required in the USA
> because of a lack of uniform competence in our K-12 teaching and
> administrator corps, and especially among the Ed.D. crowd.
>

> It figures. The teachers, you say, are incompetent.

Not all. For example, the ones who reported to the GVSD school board how
much more math all the kids were learning using the constructivist
Mathland, and that everyone loved it, were arguably not competent;
competent teachers might have noticed something amiss *before* the SAT9
reported that, compared to their nationally normed population, that
half the kids (virtually all English speaking middle class Euro) were in
the bottom quartile in both math and language.

It was the SAT9 STAR exams that pointed to the NCTM '89/California
'92(-ish) Frameworks being a mistake, leading to the pedagogy free
content standards that are being tossed in favor of the untested (and
unfinished) "Common Core".

> And your answer is that, rather than do anything effective about the
> teachers, we should test the kids.

How else are you to find out the teaching was ineffective when the
administrators are from the same pedagogic gene pool? Testing the kids
is also an enabler for "value added", my favorite next step for trying
to identify the lowest performing teachers for remediation and pay for
performance.

> Schoolyard bully? Just because I disagree with you? Good work, Greg.
> How intellectual of you.

"Oh, dear! Oh, dear! Oh, dear!"

That sort of mocking sarcasm is certainly beneath anything I've seen in
engineering, and I suspect you have better self control in faculty
meetings. Schoolyard bullying fits.

-Greg

> --Lou Talman
> Department of Mathematical & Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State University of Denver
>
> http://rowdy.msudenver.edu/~talmanl

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13