Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
att1.html (4.8 K)

On Sep 3, 2013, at 8:27 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:

> Thanks to Jerry and more on the same theme? Massachusetts math content standards are right in there with those that California are abandoning but that state has much more of a collective spirit to carry through:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/03/science/expecting-the-best-yields-results-in-massachusetts.html?_r=0
>
> Wayne

MA has come up many times before in these discussions, especially with regard to their performance on the TIMSS exam. Their scores have advanced, especially on TIMSS, because they went back to the basics. They dropped all the pretenses of new pedagogy and went back to teaching math. Essentially, they took note of Haim's challenge, that there isn't anything new to pedagogy, and ran with it. Also, it doesn't take a genius to review the curriculums of these other high scoring countries to see how they teach math.

I also like the level of their 10th grade MCAS exam...

http://www.doe.mass.edu/mcas/2013/release/g10math.pdf

Remember, this is a test that all students must pass. It may be mild for a college bound student but an applicable accomplishment for all students. The SAT or ACT have a better range for college bound students.

Another aspect that MA seems to have adopted from the TIMSS high scorers is a robust vocational program...

http://www.doe.mass.edu/cte/programs/directory.pdf

Maybe more states will take heed.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13