Topic: Most theorems in Euclidean geometry are IFF theorems.
Replies: 11   Last Post: Sep 13, 2013 1:32 PM

lite.on.beta@gmail.com

Re: Most theorems in Euclidean geometry are IFF theorems.

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 11:54:46 PM UTC-4, Lite Beta wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 8:07:15 AM UTC-4, G. A. Edgar wrote:
>

> > In article <Pine.NEB.4.64.1309032118001.16146@panix1.panix.com>,
>

> > William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> wrote:

> > > They are? My impresion what that most were constructive.
>

> > Do you mean, most are constructions? For example, Book I Proposition 1
>

> > is: construction of an equilateral triangle.
>

> Oops. excluding constructions, which I think are just "there exists" theorems.
>

> But there seems to be less important one way implication theorems than two way one. All the big ones also have their converse true, like Thales, Pythagoras, Pons Asinorum, etc. I imagine it to be because of the "rigidity" of geometrical objects.

Ignore that post of mine. I haven't made my point clear (because I don't have a well formed point yet). I just spit out "rigidity" from my gut ..........