Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use

Kirby Urner posted Sep 6, 2013 7:48 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9255055) - GSC's remarks interspersed:

> Interesting how the subject line is "on Calculator
> Use" yet the word
> "calculators" appears only once in the header
> article.

Indeed. I hadn't actively noticed this till you brought it up. Indicates, I believe, that it's not really 'calculator use' that is the problem.

> Anyone following my blogs will know I've been in
> Wolfram Research country
> i.e. U of I, Champaign-Urbana. I took some pictures
> but my mission was to
> visit another company in the old Traction Station.
>
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Illinois_Traction_
> Station_Champaign_Illinois_4162.jpg

I've opened the Illinois_Traction_Station .jpg file, but I don't seem to 'get' it. What am I missing? Needs a few words of explanation, I believe. Or, I'm lacking in some background knowledge that you are assuming all readers possess.

> The idea of using "games" to learn mathematics, other
> disciplines, is
> nothing new. Puzzles, brain teasers... Martin
> Gardner territory.

Indeed - but I suggest the underlying model is "the idea of using 'games' to help stimulate interest in math, MAY CONTRIBUTE to the user learn math...". I've found this to be a most fruitful (and hugely unexplored link) - I was fully successful in using this link in at least one instance: I was able to demonstrate to a freshman college student that math could be most interesting (using some Gardner; various other math artifacts), which then stimulated him to develop his 'learning strategy' on his own. Ultimately, what happened was that he simply learned how to use his own mind (and heart, probably!) to find ways to get over the fear and/or loathing of math that the educational system had previously inculcated in him.

> Now that computer animation has invaded the game
> playing space, in arcades,
> on smartphones, on computer screens, a lot of skills
> building goes on with
> these projects. Sometimes the goals are simply
> mnemonic i.e. to help with
> recall of the relevant facts.

I'd suggest that the mnemonic devices are the least important part of it: it is the underlying structures in the mind that help recall - the mnemonics do aid, of course. Computer animation (about which I know nothing, alas) is for sure a whole new territory - and it will obviously be very important indeed.

> Any subject is amenable to some degree of rote
> learning and building
> efficacious "memory palaces" is time-honored
> component of rhetoric since
> before the Renaissance. Today it's called "spatial
> data management" or
> some such. Cite: 'The Art of Memory' by Francis
> Yates.

Yes indeed - those "memory palaces" are crucial - but each individual builds his/her own. Is it possible to formalize a process that might help? That would be, I believe, a considerable aid to 'learning'

I have just starte3d downloading the .pdf version of "The Art of Memory", by Francis Yates: is this different in any way from the book at Amazon.com? (The download speed that my connection offers is rather small, I'm afraid - and the rest of my Internet work has slowed down enormously, I notice).

> However development of these games requires yet other
> problem solving
> skills, just as using, designing and building a
> calculator each takes
> different skill sets.

Indeed: 'problem solving' is the key issue - and problem solving is VERY much larger than 'solving a math problem' (though 'solving a math problem' is certainly included in 'problem solving' as I define it).

> A critical question is where to bring real human
> feedback into the process,
> versus "robot scoring" via machine administered tests
> (there's not much
> distinction between a scored game and a test --
> practice practice then play
> it for "the record books".
>
> Development is a collaborative process so human
> feedback is integral in
> both making the tools, and using them. There's
> typically a "solo mode" and
> a "multi-user" mode. Many games involve "role
> playing".
>
> Solving puzzles together: we need games that are
> good at promoting such
> behavior. Games like Uru? So many yet uninvented. A
> vast territory.
>
> Anyway, I have a head full of ideas, obviously.
> Business trips can be
> inspiring that way.

Well, OPMS may help you develop strategies to get those ideas into play.

> I represent the Python tribe in this context whereas
> others advocate for
> and/or apply other tools, oft times in a
> complementary fashion.

One idea from me: I've not found the links I need to enable me to *use* Python on real-life issues. If there are any such, I'd be most happy to study the material there.

> During my Chicago workshop, two of the geeks heard me
> pushing Visual Python
> as a favorite teaching tool and they assessed (a) the
> web site was too
> outmoded-looking to easily attract new users and (b)
> the installation
> mechanisms were too broken. They assiduously set
> about building a Linux
> installer and completed the project before the
> workshop was over. Wow.
> Now we just need to get the improvements accepted.

I shall look forward keenly to seeing what has developed. Visual Python sounds wonderful.

> Then, after Chicago (Hyatt downtown, conference just
> finishing up), I drove
> south to Wolfram country. Great place. I'd never
> been to Champaign-Urbana
> before. Today I'm in Indiana.
>
> Synergetics was a part of the Djangocon presentation,
> though not a big
> part. It's wasn't hard to weave in, given Chicago is
> all about
> architecture. I'd taken an "architecture boat" the
> night before and had my
> slides ready, something to look at as I got things
> set up. Mentioning
> Bucky Fuller when mentioning architects is a smooth
> segue, with Alexander
> Graham Bell another foreground figure.

Want to bet? My bet: F. Zubek will be soon here with some remarks. Not that his remarks will mean anything.

> However it's really just generic spatial geometry I'm
> talking about, in
> showing off Visual Python (vpython.org), VRML
> (x3d.org) and POV-Ray (
> povray.org).

I shall soon be looking at all those sites with keen interest to check out if they have something that I might use.

I'm in a bit of a rush to go out. More later, perhaps.

GSC

> Reinforce the core math in the language of your
> choice, coding a model.
>
> In model-view-controller architecture, we allow for
> various views based on
> a common model.
>
> The same math outputs on various visualization
> formats. I don't do as much
> with sound as other teachers. Not my forte.
>
> Scott, my former boss (he's posted here, tried to
> join the threads about
> calculus -- his forte), strongly advocates for
> Mathematica in particular.
> That's his heritage as a Uhl guy.
>
> I'm quite respectful of Mathematica and look forward
> to more results coming
> in from the various classrooms using it, but given my
> Python affiliations,
> I'm more likely to talk about SAGE or iPython
> Notebooks.
>
> Given we all share a commitment to Diversity, it's
> not that big a deal when
> two camps, or schools of thought, develop different
> branches of the
> technology. There's no assumption of a "winner take
> all" theme.
>
> Kirby

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13