Topic: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 20, 2013 7:19 AM

kirby urner

Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
att1.html (4.1 K)

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 2:48 AM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > visit another company in the old Traction Station.
> >
> > http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Illinois_Traction_
> > Station_Champaign_Illinois_4162.jpg
> >

> I've opened the Illinois_Traction_Station .jpg file, but I don't seem to
> 'get' it. What am I missing? Needs a few words of explanation, I believe.
> Or, I'm lacking in some background knowledge that you are assuming all
> readers possess.

It's like a treasure hunt or bread crumb trail. Those who really want to
figure out what I'm up to in detail (maybe in ten years, a hundred years)
can follow data points and connect the dots, like a game. The company I
was visiting has office space in said building. No worries.

I gather "Traction Station" refers to a no-longer extant rail system with a
pull chain, i.e. a cable car, and this building housed the machinery for
it. Finding references is a bit difficult (University of Illinois has old
pictures maybe).

As you may know, the US went through an historical chapter wherein many
rail systems were pulled out for the benefit of cars and trucks. Now many
cities (including Portland) are putting back those trollies and so forth.
It's not either / or.

> > The idea of using "games" to learn mathematics, other
> > disciplines, is
> > nothing new. Puzzles, brain teasers... Martin
> > Gardner territory.
> >

> Indeed - but I suggest the underlying model is "the idea of using 'games'
> to help stimulate interest in math, MAY CONTRIBUTE to the user learn
> math...". I've found this to be a most fruitful (and hugely unexplored
> link) - I was fully successful in using this link in at least one
> instance: I was able to demonstrate to a freshman college student that
> math could be most interesting (using some Gardner; various other math
> artifacts), which then stimulated him to develop his 'learning strategy' on
> his own. Ultimately, what happened was that he simply learned how to use
> his own mind (and heart, probably!) to find ways to get over the fear
> and/or loathing of math that the educational system had previously
> inculcated in him.

In the office I visited, the staff plays a board game called Settlers on
lunch break. It's a productive together time and gives the staff something
fun to do together. A couple people from neighboring offices even join
in. In this case, the "game board" is an HDTV / LCD lying on its back.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kirbyurner/9675653130/

One can argue if any math is being learned as we have a strict fence around
an elusive "math" that excludes playing chess but allows studying chess...
Do games of chance help teach combinatorics? A simple yes / no may not be
what's called for. What makes a game "didactic"? That's an interesting
questions.

In my evolving curriculum, "math is an outdoor sport" (slogan) and more
like scouting in some contexts. Geocaching might be involved (treasure
hunting), in connection with geodesy studies, which in turn connect to
geometrical studies e.g. 'Divided Spheres' (wherein Synergetics is
mentioned). Graph theory on a sphere.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
8/31/13
Read A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Jerry P. Becker
8/31/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/2/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Wayne Bishop
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Greg Goodknight
9/3/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Louis Talman
9/4/13
[...]
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Richard Strausz
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
Robert Hansen
9/1/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/2/13
[...]
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/5/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
GS Chandy
9/6/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/19/13
Read Re: A further response to posting on Calculator Use
kirby urner
9/20/13