Topic: Parable of teacher, student offers valuable lessons
Replies: 5   Last Post: Sep 9, 2013 5:30 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Parable of teacher, student offers valuable lessons

Jerry Becker posted Sep 9, 2013 1:40 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2597928):

> *******************************
> From The Southern Illinoisan, Sunday, September 8,
> , 2013, p. 5D. See
> http://thesouthern.com/news/opinion/editorial/rosemond
> /parable-of-teacher-student-offers-valuable-lessons/ar
> ticle_9e339d14-1843-11e3-93fb-001a4bcf887a.html
> *******************************
> Parable of teacher, student offers valuable lessons
>
> By John Rosemond

<snip>
Well yes, Dr Rosemond did (I believe) seem to have found the right way to resolve that little contretemps his son Eric was facing - at least as he tells the tale.

- -- He was entirely correct (in this case [IMHO]) not to involve himself in the issue - specifically, the tussle with the teacher - that his son was facing at school. However, his idea that

> Children benefit considerably when adults stand
> together

is, I believe, grossly incorrect.

The fact is that children benefit considerably when they learn how to tackle their own problems through their own actions (and NOT by "adults hanging together"!!) If the adults are wrong, they are wrong - and there should be no question of "adults hanging together"...

In Eric's case, the right actions involved buckling down to his English work and to get that work done - which probably would not have happened if Dr Rosemond had involved himself in the problem.

It's a nice parable. Like most parables that even Jesus spoke, not easy to learn how to apply. The real issues are:

- -- How to apply our available knowledge to the issues we (/our children) confront?

There are any number of traps into which you are likely to fall if you rely entirely on 'traditional thinking' - but at the same time there is a very sizable amount of wisdom that has been accumulated in the 'traditional thinking'. How to make out which part of the 'traditional thinking' is the trap?

For instance, Dr Rosemond's idea

> Children benefit considerably when adults stand
> together

is probably an instance of the kind of 'traditional thinking' that may well be a trap. It really is NOT a matter of "adults standing together" - but of learning to use our available knowledge to work our way out of difficulties and problems that we may confront. There ARE many instances where the children may be correct and the adults grossly wrong.

I am pretty certain that the above would not - AND SHOULD NOT - be the advice that he gives his 'advisees' (assuming Dr Rosemond is as eminent a 'parenting authority' as the blurb claims).

- -- How to learn for ourselves to handle each such issue as it should be handled?

This is not impossible to do, but it is often very tricky. Always, the answer lies in learning how to apply 'common sense' to start with - then steadily building on that in a 'systematic' way.

GSC