The Math Forum

Topic: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 15, 2013 1:06 PM

Peter Percival

Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale

Dan Christensen wrote:

> 0^0 = 0^0 * 0^0
>
> Therefore, 0^0 = 0 or 1.

> To my knowledge, there is no purely number-theoretic justification
> for eliminating either possibility.

I'm sure this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0%5E0#Zero_to_the_power_of_zero has been
pointed out to you (either the page or the facts on the page), so your
claim seems to be wrong.

If the fact 0^0 = 0^0 * 0^0 doesn't settle 0^0 being 0 or 1, then more
data is needed. You can't just stop at
0^0 = 0^0 * 0^0 -> (0^0 = 0 or 1)
and say 0^0 is or should be undefined.

> Given this ambiguity, the prudent course is to leave 0^0 undefined
> (like division by zero), especially in general purpose programming
> languages. Currently, most programming languages seem to have 0^0 =
> 1.

In your arguments you seem to switch between mathematics and
programming. In mathematics 0^0 = 1, in programming 0^0 should be what
the specification says it should be.

--
Sorrow in all lands, and grievous omens.
Great anger in the dragon of the hills,

Date Subject Author
9/11/13
Read Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Michael F. Stemper
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Robin Chapman
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
David C. Ullrich
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/13/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
David C. Ullrich
9/13/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/13/13
Read how about an examplar
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
LudovicoVan
9/12/13
[...]
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Robert Lewis
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/15/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
fom
9/15/13