The Math Forum

Topic: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Replies: 48   Last Post: Sep 15, 2013 1:06 PM

FredJeffries@gmail.com

Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 8:10:22 AM UTC-7, Dan Christensen wrote:

> What "context" is a computer programmer to use when writing software for, say, medical equipment? Should he/she just assume 0^0=1? Shockingly, most programming languages seem to automatically make this assumption!
>
> There is a good case to be made that 0^0 is ambiguous even in the natural numbers. Therefore, it seems to me that the safest, most conservative assumption when programming is that 0^0 should be flagged as an error condition. This should be a global standard built into every general purpose programming language.

Could you please post a simple program where using 0^0 = 1 would give
an undesirable result?

Date Subject Author
9/11/13
Read Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/11/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Michael F. Stemper
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Robin Chapman
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
David C. Ullrich
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Dan Christensen
9/13/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
David C. Ullrich
9/13/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/13/13
Read how about an examplar
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/12/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
LudovicoVan
9/12/13
[...]
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Robert Lewis
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Peter Percival
9/15/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/14/13
Read Re: Leaving 0^0 undefined -- A number-theoretic rationale
fom
9/15/13