Topic: Breakpoint on specific command line output possible?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Sep 12, 2013 4:37 PM

dpb

Re: Breakpoint on specific command line output possible?

On 9/12/2013 2:29 PM, Jesse Hopkins wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, but it is nasty in that re-running the same
> scenario shows different behavior. It may or may not appear, or maybe it
> appears 3 times. The only way I know to capture the output is via
> diary(), and that requires that I check the diary file periodically. I
> went down that path a bit, but by the time my code gets to a point where
> I can query the diary file, I'm still not certain where the "null" came
> from.

I was afraid of that -- have you updated the Java install just to see if
it would magically go away?

How are you building the XML strings; can you not wrap that such that
the output goes to a variable instead of or before the file so can do
the search on it then?

Or, if nothing else the old "sprinkle a bunch of 'We are here' output
statements through the code that serve to at least do binary splits of
before/after a given routine/statement in a routine. Hopefully at least
that will be repetitive if it does happen that it is the same routine or
few routines or, conversely, if it is Java would hopefully identify a
specific routine there that is buggy or has bad inputs on occasion.