Topic: BUG in histc !!?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Sep 16, 2013 2:05 PM

RODRIGO

Re: BUG in histc !!?

Penny Anderson wrote:
quote -- Probably part of the problem with the histc bug fix is that it is a MEX-file and it's just a pain to post all 7 or 8 different MEX-files to the web site for the bug fix. -- end quote

That sounds lame!. How can posting 8 files to a website be more of a pain than the difficulties a bug in a commonly-used function can cause literally thousands of users?. Just read the above examples of what a bug can cause with the valuable time of researchers around the globe!! Let alone the publishing of false results and the possible consequences of that!

The cost of Matlab should be enough to have a dedicated webpage for all known bugs AND their solutions documented so that ANY Matlab user can download the corrected function and use it (I guess some restrictions can happen due to added functionality in newer versions). It is just unfair to make a user buy a new Matlab version (or in my case a new computer to be able to upgrade and then a new Matlab version) just to be able to use a program that was supposed to work reliably from the beginning. Sure bugs are a part of programming and will remain so for the foreseeable future, however, company policy should be much better for the benefit of their customers. Recall Matlab is a company that charges considerable amounts of money for a high-quality product. We are not requesting anything other than what is fair here.

thanks,

Rodrigo Duran.
PhD candidate physical oceanography.