Topic: Re: Are Tenure Track Professors Better Teachers?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Sep 16, 2013 10:54 AM

Phil Mahler

Re: Are Tenure Track Professors Better Teachers?

Always glad to kindle the fire of discussion, even if I do it unwittingly. :-)

I am not defending education by under-qualified individuals.

Perhaps it is my Northeast (Massachusetts) area that means that most of our adjuncts are quite well qualified. Lots of colleges and universities, high tech companies etc mean a good pool. It may well be that in other areas, less qualified individuals are hired.

I am not up to googling the matter but I have indeed seen purported evidence that adjuncts teach about as well as full-time individuals.

And certainly if someone were to be hired full-time they should meet minimal standards of the department. It is my opinion, not always a majority opinion, that if a college can hire an adjunct year after year to teach, and that person is minimally qualified for a full-time position, they should have it. To say they can't provides some evidence that the college has, for years, foisted inadequate educators on its students. A professional crime.

Over my way-past-30 years of teaching, I have come to believe that you hire stars, not make them. (It may take even 2 years to shine, but if there is no light by then there never will be.) A department is in a position to make that judgement about its adjunct faculty.

I certainly agree that all com clg deparments should operate at 90% or above full-time. Good luck selling that to those who pay the bills, who might even be in agreement about the theory.

Phil