Topic: Quantity
Replies: 8   Last Post: Oct 8, 2013 3:10 AM

H. Keßler

Re: Quantity

Am Sonntag, 22. September 2013 08:26:36 UTC+2 schrieb Bill Rowe:
> On 9/21/13 at 4:35 AM, kessler.hannes@gmail.com (H. Ke=C3=9Fler) wrote:
>

> >But what I am especially looking for is the list of the unit strings
>
> >in the correct spelling for Mathematica in
>
> >Quantity[magnitude,unitstring], not only the general overview of
>
> >units in the NIST-website. In the old Units-package (Mathematica 8
>
> >and earlier) each unit was a symbol and a list of all units
>
> >available could be obtained in the correct format and spelling by
>
> >?Units`*. This is obviously not possible anymore as there is no
>
> >package and all units are strings.
>

> There does not seem to be a specific set of unit strings. Note
>
> that doing:
>

> In[1]:= UnitConvert[Quantity[12., "Feet"], "Meters"]
>

> Out[1]= 3.6576 m
>

> returns a result essentially immediately. But doing
>

> In[2]:= UnitConvert[Quantity[12., "Foot"], "Meters"]
>

> Out[2]= 3.6576 m
>

> returns the same result after a small delay. You should see a
>
> brief message indicating Mathematica is interpreting the units.
>
> I believe what is happening here is Mathematica is using Wolfram
>
> Alpha to interpret the unit string which increases the allowable
>
> number of unit strings significantly and makes it essentially
>
> impossible for a user to create a list of allowable unit strings.

Hello Bill,

you are right, Mathematica seems to call Wolfram Alpha. However, I cannot use this feature as the internet connection to Wolfram Alpha is blocked in my company. Therefore I would be interested in a solution which does not rely on Wolfram Alpha.

Best regards,
Hannes