Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: Rubi 4.1 and the Timofeev test suite

Albert Rich schrieb:

> Your perfectionist credentials remain impeccable! Chapter 9 of the
> Timofeev test suite, revised as you suggested, is now available at
>
> http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~arich/TimofeevChapter9TestResults.pdf

Wasn't as perfect as you thought! Here's the next iteration on example
#49 from Timofeev's Chapter 9:

INT(ASIN(SQRT((x - a)/(x + a))), x)
= - 2*a*(SQRT((x - a)/(x + a))/SQRT(2*a/(x + a)))
+ (x + a)*ASIN(SQRT((x - a)/(x + a)))

I notice that Timofeev (p. 422) gives an evaluation incompatible with
the above: it doesn't differentiate back to something as simple as his
integrand, so one may conclude he made the mistake rather than the
typesetter.

As regards example #19 from Chapter 5, Timofeev gives a finite sum (p.
220) involving Sin[4*(m-p)*x] with p running from 0 to m-1 in place of
your Hypergeometric2F1[1/2-m, 1/2+m, 3/2+m, Cos[x]^2] times elementary
factors. Your hypergeometric series terminates when 2*m is an odd
integer greater than -3; and restated as Hypergeometric2F1[1+2*m, 1,
3/2+m, Cos[x]^2] times different elementary factors, it terminates when
m is a negative integer. Though not a polynomial, it is an elementary
function for any non-negative integer m as well, for m=3 one has for
instance

F21(1/2 - 3, 1/2 + 3, 3/2 + 3, z)
= 35*ASIN(SQRT(z))/(1024*z^(7/2)) + 7*SQRT(1 - z)
*(256*z^5 - 640*z^4 + 432*z^3 - 8*z^2 - 10*z - 15)/(3072*z^3)

but at present I don't know how to express this in finite terms for
arbitrary non-negative integer m. Unfortunately, non-negative integer m
are what Timofeev had in mind here. On the other hand, I think the
exponent m should not be restricted in the test suite.

As regards example #75 from Chapter 5, it seems that Timofeev meant to
write (p. 273):

INT((COS(2*x) - 3*TAN(x))*COS(x)^3
/((SIN(x)^2 - SIN(2*x))*SIN(2*x)^(5/2)), x)
= (12 - 50*TAN(x) - 135*TAN(x)^2)/(240*SQRT(2)*TAN(x)^(5/2))
+ 33/64*LN((SQRT(2) + SQRT(TAN(x)))/(SQRT(2) - SQRT(TAN(x))))

This holds where the radicands are positive; an even shorter evaluation
for the entire complex plane is:

INT((COS(2*x) - 3*TAN(x))*COS(x)^3
/((SIN(x)^2 - SIN(2*x))*SIN(2*x)^(5/2)), x)
= COS(x)/SQRT(SIN(2*x))*(1/20*COT(x)^2 - 5/24*COT(x) - 9/16)
+ 33/32*ATANH(SQRT(SIN(2*x))/(2*COS(x)))

I notice that you write SIN(2*x)^(5/2) for his SQRT(SIN(2*x)^5); I
concur that we should allow to modify integrands in this way if the
piecewise constants become simpler in consequence. However, one
shouldn't try to reinterpret radicals like SQRT(SIN(x)*COS(x)^2) in
example #80, I think.

Can you point out where you couldn't map Timofeev's evaluations to your
'optimal' ones - modulo apparent misprints and any unavoidable piecewise
constants? This would help focusing the attention of sci.math.symbolic
readers; to compare all integrals and evaluations in your file against
the book means an awful lot of work.

Martin.

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de