Topic: BitAnd[True,False]
Replies: 6   Last Post: Sep 27, 2013 2:37 AM

Itai Seggev

Re: BitAnd[True,False]

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 03:44:04AM -0400, Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On 9/25/2013 4:24 AM, John Fultz wrote:
> > I'm not sure why you might have expected this to work. It
> > wouldn't occur to me at all that bitwise operations would
> > have anything to do with logical truth tables (unless
> > those tables were expressed in values of 0 and 1).

> Not expect, but rather hope. And why?
> Because I would hope bitwise operations would treat
> True and False like 1 and 0.

There is a function to do this; it is called Boole.

In[127]:= Boole[{True, False}]

Out[127]= {1, 0}

> (E.g., in Python, True
> and False behave this way, since bool is a subtype
> of int.)

That is common in many languages; it is not the case in Mathematica. For
example, If[1, a,b,c] will return c (neither True nor False), not a, and I
think that is quite correct and useful. I would quite suprised if some
function decided to treat True the same as 1 without conversion

> Let me put it this way:
> what else might one intend by BitAnd[True,False]?

I would expect it to return an integer, not True or False, given that it is
called BitAnd.

--
Itai Seggev
Mathematica Algorithms R&D