Topic: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Replies: 23   Last Post: Oct 1, 2013 3:22 PM

JT

Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)

Den måndagen den 30:e september 2013 kl. 23:14:03 UTC+2 skrev jonas.t...@gmail.com:
> [...]

> > In most cases (including the Wikipedia links, last I checked), there is a failure to note that the question has to be asked RELATIVE to the set that's being represented!
>

> > The smallest base for a numeric orthography for the natural numbers N = {0, 1, 2, 3, ... } is 2. Of necessity, any positional system has to either include a symbol for 0 or a representation of 0 formed of the other symbols. Since the base can only be positive (lest negative be represented), then 0 has to be a symbol.
>

> Really???
>

> But what about bijective ternary below, why would it need zero?
>

> BASE 3 BELOW
>
> Dec = NyaNTern=StandardTern
>

> 1 =1 01
>
> 2 =2 02
>
> 3 =3 10
>
> 4 =11 3+1 11
>
> 5 =12 3+2 12
>
> 6 =13 3+3 20
>
> 7 =21 6+1 21
>
> 8 =22 6+2 22
>
> 9 =23 6+3 100
>
> 10 =31 9+1 101
>
> 11 =32 9+2 102
>
> 12 =33 9+3 110
>
> 13 =111 9+3+1 111
>
> 14 =112 9+3+2 112
>
> 15 =113 9+3+3 120
>
> 16 =121 9+6+1 121
>
> 17 =122 9+6+2 122
>
> 18 =123 9+6+3 200
>
> 19 =131 9+9+1 201
>
> 20 =132 9+9+2 202
>
> 21 =133 9+9+3 210
>

> Why would this encoding scheme need 0?
>
> And is this a bijective or p-adic encoding scheme, or maybe bijective and p-adic. Noone have yet told me.
>

> > For the counting numbers { 1, 2, 3, ... } the smallest base is 1. That does not require any 0. Nor does any other base. For base 10, for instance, the digits would have the values 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
>

> > For the integers {..., -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ... } the smallest bases (in absolute value) are 3 or -3. Any attempt to construct a base 2 representation for the integers will either (a) require extra symbols not part of the positional orthography (i.e. a "negative sign") or (b) both a positive and negative digit, resulting inevitably in cases where 2 or more numerals represent the same number.
>

> > For the complex integers, there is are base 3i and base 3 orthographies, each of which have 9 digits. There MIGHT be a smaller digit set suitable for representing complex integers.
>

> > For the integer elements of the quaternions, octonions, Clifford algebra (and even matrix algebras), there are also positional systems of numerals, which all have the (more or less) usual methods for the 4 basic arithmetic operations. Multiplication, however, will be a bit more complicated. Division will be a lot more complicated, since it may not even exist, if the set does have the no-zero-divisor property (meaning: matrix algebras and Clifford algebras other than R and C).

When i finished implement the generic p-adic/bijective base changer and arithmetic i will implement some using quadratic and exponentiation, and then maybe if i reach there some tetration.

Date Subject Author
9/30/13
Read Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
Rock Brentwood
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
Michael F. Stemper
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
10/1/13
Read base-one accounting for
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Michael F. Stemper
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Karl-Olav Nyberg