Topic: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Replies: 23   Last Post: Oct 1, 2013 3:22 PM

JT

Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)

Den måndagen den 30:e september 2013 kl. 23:55:09 UTC+2 skrev Michael F. Stemper:
> On 09/30/2013 04:14 PM, jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:

> >> The smallest base for a numeric orthography for the natural numbers N = {0, 1, 2, 3, ... } is 2. Of
>
> >> necessity, any positional system has to either include a symbol for
>
> 0 or a representation of 0 formed
>

> >> of the other symbols. Since the base can only be positive (lest
>
> negative be represented), then 0 has
>

> >> to be a symbol.
>

> > Really???
>

> > But what about bijective ternary below, why would it need zero?
>

> > BASE 3 BELOW
>
> > Dec = NyaNTern=StandardTern
>

> > 1 =1 01
>
> > 2 =2 02
>

> [snip]
>

> > 21 =133 9+9+3 210
>

> > Why would this encoding scheme need 0?
>

> Look at the set that federation2005 is discussing:
>
> N = {0, 1, 2, 3, ...}
>

> Your system does not include a representation for 0.
>

> If you don't care about 0, that's fine. But, then you're not
>
> representing N, you're representing the counting numbers, which
>
> were addressed in the next paragraph of federation2005's post:
>

> >> For the counting numbers { 1, 2, 3, ... } the smallest base is 1. That
>
> >> does not require any 0. Nor does any other base. For base 10, for
>
> >> instance, the digits would have the values 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
>
> and 10.

Well that was another question what do you call the notational system, when you represent base 64 (or any other higher base) by using comma separated decimal values?

Radix just mean base right? But what is that kind of notation called using decimals representing a higher base called.

> --
>
> Michael F. Stemper
>
> No animals were harmed in the composition of this message.

Date Subject Author
9/30/13
Read Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
Rock Brentwood
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
Michael F. Stemper
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
10/1/13
Read base-one accounting for
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Michael F. Stemper
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Karl-Olav Nyberg