Topic: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Replies: 23   Last Post: Oct 1, 2013 3:22 PM

Virgil

Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)

> Den tisdagen den 1:e oktober 2013 kl. 00:05:18 UTC+2 skrev Virgil:
> > In article <e6cbafe9-d5f3-48b2-8539-07ea1457ee03@googlegroups.com>,
> > jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Den m?ndagen den 30:e september 2013 kl. 22:24:57 UTC+2 skrev
> > > federat...@netzero.com:

> > > Really???
> > > But what about bijective ternary below, why would it need zero?
> > > BASE 3 BELOW
> > > Dec = NyaNTern=StandardTern
> > > 1 =1 01
> > > 2 =2 02
> > > 3 =3 10
> > > 4 =11 3+1 11
> > > 5 =12 3+2 12
> > > 6 =13 3+3 20
> > > 7 =21 6+1 21
> > > 8 =22 6+2 22
> > > 9 =23 6+3 100
> > > 10 =31 9+1 101
> > > 11 =32 9+2 102
> > > 12 =33 9+3 110
> > > 13 =111 9+3+1 111
> > > 14 =112 9+3+2 112
> > > 15 =113 9+3+3 120
> > > 16 =121 9+6+1 121
> > > 17 =122 9+6+2 122
> > > 18 =123 9+6+3 200
> > > 19 =131 9+9+1 201
> > > 20 =132 9+9+2 202
> > > 21 =133 9+9+3 210
> > > Why would this encoding scheme need 0?

> > Until you have shown us that the arithmetic of your notation is at
> > lestas simple as that of standard base ten (or other bases like 2, 8 or
> > 16).
> > How do you add, subtract, multiply, divide, take square roots, averages,
> > etc., in your notation?
> > What happens when you need to subtract a number from itself?
> > How do you deal with integers needing both 0 and negatives?
> > And
> > --

> I know my arithmetic will do just fine without zeros since i have implemented
> it before.

You claim you do you do but we don't, and do not choose merely to take
your word for it.

For example how do you represent 0 and negatives?

What is your alternative for decimal fractions?

E.g., how would you represent decimal fractions,
like 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001, and so on, without zeros?
--

Date Subject Author
9/30/13
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
Rock Brentwood
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
Michael F. Stemper
[...]
10/1/13
Read base-one accounting for
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Michael F. Stemper
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Karl-Olav Nyberg