Topic: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Replies: 23   Last Post: Oct 1, 2013 3:22 PM

JT

Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)

Den tisdagen den 1:e oktober 2013 kl. 01:32:18 UTC+2 skrev Virgil:
> > Den tisdagen den 1:e oktober 2013 kl. 00:05:18 UTC+2 skrev Virgil:

> > > Until you have shown us that the arithmetic of your notation is at
>
> > > lestas simple as that of standard base ten (or other bases like 2, 8 or
>
> > > 16).
>
> > > How do you add, subtract, multiply, divide, take square roots, averages,
>
> > > etc., in your notation?
>
> > > What happens when you need to subtract a number from itself?
>
> > > How do you deal with integers needing both 0 and negatives?
>
> > > And
>
> > > --
>

> > I know my arithmetic will do just fine without zeros since i have implemented
>
> > it before.
>

> You claim you do you do but we don't, and do not choose merely to take
>
> your word for it.
>

> For example how do you represent 0 and negatives?
>

> What is your alternative for decimal fractions?
>

> E.g., how would you represent decimal fractions,
>
> like 0.01, 0.001, 0.0001, and so on, without zeros?
>
> --

Well you could use the first digit in the decimal expansion to represent the negative exponentiation standard form. Or just simply write out a variation of standard form x*10^-2 x*10^-3 x*10^-4 using bijective encoding?

Notice though that the standard form would be adopted to the base.
So for ternary
1/3 = .1
2/3 = .2
1/9 = .(1)1
2/9 = .(1)2
1/27 = .(2)1
2/27 = .(2)2
1/81 = .(3)1
2/81 = .(3)2 ...

But partitioning of a single hashmark into a base has its problems like none ending termination of string when ***trying*** to represent a certain fraction in respective base.

So since fractions seem wastly superior i would probably mix bijective encoding of naturals for each base with fractions instead of a lossy representation and arithmetic.

I consider the naturals to be discrete, while fractions are part from a continuum hold in each individual unary member forming the set of naturals.
Partitioning into bases isn't really that beautiful to me and further more always seem to end up with lossy aproximations when doing arithmetic operations.

Date Subject Author
9/30/13
Read Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
Rock Brentwood
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
Michael F. Stemper
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
10/1/13
Read base-one accounting for
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Michael F. Stemper
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Karl-Olav Nyberg