Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

Albert D. Rich

From: Hawaii Island
Registered: 5/30/09
The A. F. Timofeev symbolic integration test suite

On Sunday, September 29, 2013 10:49:28 AM UTC-10, clicl...@freenet.de wrote:

> I have converted the 61 examples from Chapter 9 of Timofeev's book to
> Derive format and made a visual comparison of your evaluations with
> those in the book. Thus I discovered that two integrands (and their
> antiderivatives) must be corrected: in example #45 a misprinted
> (x^2-1)^(3/2) must be replaced by (x^2-1)^(5/2), and in example #46 your
> ACSC(x)^2 must be replaced by ACSC(x)^4, as is actually printed.
> Timofeev's evaluations correctly differentiate back to the revised
> integrands.
>
> For reasons of quality, uniformity, conciseness, and aesthetics, I also
> propose to:
> - replace 2*ATANH((1 + 2*x^2)) by LN(1 + 1/x^2) in examples #4, #33, #34
> and #35 to get rid of the imaginary offset.
> - replace 2*ATANH((1 - 2*x^2)) by LN(1 - 1/x^2) in example #42 for the
> same reason and to get rid of bad branch cuts.
> - express ACSC as ASEC in example #47 since this is the rule for all
> other examples.
> - change SQRT(2 - COSH(x)^2) to SQRT(1 - SINH(x)^2) in example #57
> because the second radicand looks more natural.
> - move the piecewise constant x/SQRT(x^2) into ATANH and simplify to
> ATANH(1/SQRT(x^2)) in examples #40, #41 (and the old #45).
> - move the piecewise constant x/SQRT(x^2) into ACOTH and simplify to
> ATANH(1/SQRT(x^2)) in example #43.
> - remove a constant term from the evaluation of example #36 as you see
> fit.
> - perhaps replace SQRT(x^2)/x by x/SQRT(x^2) in examples #37, #38, #43,
> #47 and #53, as the latter form is used elsewhere. In the same vain,
> simplify SQRT(x^2)/x^3 to 1/(x*SQRT(x^2)) in example #38, (simplify
> SQRT(x^2)/x^2 to 1/SQRT(x^2) in the old example #46), simplify
> SQRT(x^2)/x^3 to 1/(x*SQRT(x^2)) and SQRT(x^2)/x^5 to 1/(x^3*SQRT(x^2))
> in example #47, and simplify SQRT(x^2)/x^2 to 1/SQRT(x^2) and
> SQRT(x^2)/x^4 to 1/(x^2)^(3/2) in example #48.

Most of the changes you suggested for Chapter 9 of the Timofeev symbolic integration test suite are included in the revised test results file at

http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~arich/TimofeevChapter9TestResults.pdf

However I take issue with your assertion that Timofeev's antiderivatives for examples #45 and #46 differentiate back to the integrands. They are still off by piecewise constant factors.

I do not know what you mean by removing "a constant term from the evaluation of example #36".

Note that despite the more compact form of many of the optimal antiderivatives, the scores of the various systems on the Chapter 9 test suite did not change. This is justifiable because the post-integration simplifications required should be done automatically by the systems (but aren't...), and are not really the responsibility of the integrators.

Albert

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de