Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: The A. F. Timofeev symbolic integration test suite

Albert Rich schrieb:

> Most of the changes you suggested for Chapter 9 of the Timofeev
> symbolic integration test suite are included in the revised test
> results file at
>
> http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~arich/TimofeevChapter9TestResults.pdf
>
> However I take issue with your assertion that Timofeev's
> antiderivatives for examples #45 and #46 differentiate back to the
> integrands. They are still off by piecewise constant factors.

Oops. My apologies for imprecision. I meant to say that that they
differentiated back correctly as of 1948, in the eyes of A.F. Timofeev,
although I am not really sure about locations on the wrong side of the
branch cut along the 180th meridian ...

> I do not know what you mean by removing "a constant term from the
> evaluation of example #36".

I changed your -x^4/(32*(1+x^2)^2) + 3/(32*(1+x^2)) to -1/(32*(1+x^2)^2)
+ 5/(32*(1+x^2)) = (4 + 5*x^2)/(32*(1+x^2)^2). Such constant terms (here
visible at x = inf) arise as a result of the integration technique and
their retention during subsequent simplification is a matter of taste. I
believe example #36 was the only one where I noticed a constant term in
your optimal antiderivatives ...

> Note that despite the more compact form of many of the optimal
> antiderivatives, the scores of the various systems on the Chapter 9
> test suite did not change. This is justifiable because the
> post-integration simplifications required should be done automatically
> by the systems (but aren't...), and are not really the responsibility
> of the integrators.

By the way, it appears that a new FriCAS version was released over the
weekend. Waldek said he was working on a cure of excessive degrees of
polynomials appearing in logarithmic terms. I am mighty curious to what
extend he could improve the Charlwood Fifty score.

Martin.

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de