Topic: out ofs
Replies: 6   Last Post: Oct 1, 2013 2:55 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: out ofs

"Two out of five" translates in French as "deux sur cinq".

What is intriguing is that the primary meaning of "sur" is "over" and
that a literal reading of the fraction 2/5 is also "deux sur cinq".
Which goes to show that, as usual, meanings are context-bound.

How does "Two out of five" translate in other languages?

Curious regards
--schremmer