Topic: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Replies: 23   Last Post: Oct 1, 2013 3:22 PM

Karl-Olav Nyberg

Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc

On Monday, September 30, 2013 5:57:49 PM UTC+2, jonas.t...@gmail.com wrote:
> When i've played with constructing *zeroless* numbersystems i've come a cross terms like bijective and p-adic, since my formalised knowledge of math terms is null. I wonder what these terms really mean and their origin, and is there a difference between bijective base 10 and p-adic base 10?
>

> My native language is not english so what does a numbersystem being p-adic and bijective really refer to?
>

> Basicly i wonder what does these term bring to the properties and understanding of the numbersystem that is missing by simply using zeroless bases?
>

> I do realise that zeroless basesystem may indeed end up with a different set of arithmetic and calculus. But what does these terms bring that zeroless base can not encapsulate?
>

> I will implement some general purpose p-adic??? numbersystem converter and some basic arithmetic working for any p-adic +,-,*,/ SQR,SQRT maybe
>

> Also i wonder about radix notation, when you use decimals to represent numbers in higher bases then 10, what is this type of numerical notation of a base called.
>

> Base 10 number 1344556
>
> Base 77 number 2,72,59,59,
>

> I have a feeling that radix notation is not the correct term for what i use above or is it?
>

> If i write a basechanging function constructed using p-adic and this comma separated decimal notation system, what should i call it so people in math understand the notation?
>

> A general purpose base changing algorithm using
>
> P-adic and comma separated decimal notation?

Hi.

Your translation from

Base 10 number 1344556 to

Base 77 number 2,72,59,59,

is correct in the meaning that I understand what you do. I have not seen any representation of these translation other than the obvioous 0,1,2,3,...a.b,..,f for the radix 16( I know there are others for bigger radises, but these are seldom used. I would think that [2,72,59,59]radix(77) could be a meaningfull notation ?

KON

Date Subject Author
9/30/13
Read Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
FredJeffries@gmail.com
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
Brian Q. Hutchings
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc
JT
9/30/13
Read Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
Rock Brentwood
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
Michael F. Stemper
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective,
p-adic etc)
JT
9/30/13
Read Re: Systems of Numerals (not Numbers) (was: Numbersystems, bijective, p-adic etc)
Virgil
10/1/13
Read base-one accounting for
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/1/13
Read Re: the surfer's value of pi (wokrking on proof
Michael F. Stemper