Topic: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 9, 2013 10:23 AM

quasi

Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane

Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>Eric Lafontaine wrote:
>>cotpi wrote:
>>>
>>> How can you construct a plane where every point is
>>> coloured either black or white such that two points of
>>> the same colour are never a unit distance apart?

>> I must have missed something?
>> Place an equilateral triangle anywhere on the plane
>> Set one of its corners white, another one black
>> What do you do with the third one?

>That was my reaction, as well.
>

>> Next question: what kind of plane makes equilateral
>> triangles impossible?

>How about the Gaussian integers?

Geometrically, we can cast the underlying set of the ring Z[i]
as the subset Z^2 of R^2.

Just color the point (x,y) white if x + y is even, black if
x + y is odd.

>Is there something similar to the Gaussian integers, but for
>rationals? In other words, {a+bi | a,b in Q}

The field Q(i).

Geometrically, we can cast the underlying set of the field Q[i]
as the subset Q^2 of R^2.

>You can't have equilateral triangles in whatever this would
>be called,

Right.

>but would it have the property initially specified?

Good question.

quasi

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
Read cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
cotpi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Pubkeybreaker
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mike Terry
10/6/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/6/13
[...]
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Phil Carmody
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Eric Lafontaine
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Michael F. Stemper
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Haran Pilpel
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Ted Schuerzinger
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mark Brader
10/3/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
William Elliot