Topic: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Replies: 19   Last Post: Oct 22, 2013 5:13 PM

dpb

Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace

On 10/2/2013 2:15 PM, Norbert Marwan wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <l2hjad$476$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
>>
>> One would think it should be a bug indeed but unfortunately it isn't. :(
>>

> why not?
> in my opinion this is a bug when it is not working as it should do. i do
> not see any reason why the whitespace should not be counted when using
> the format strings.

Unfortunately it's not a bug because it _is_ working as specified/should
do. It's just that the definition of what the width field means on
input w/ blanks isn't consistent with what it seems intuitively it
should be (or what Fortran FORMAT means).

You'd have to ask the authors of C the "why". It's what they chose to
do on input scanning and since Matlab i/o is built around the C library
functions, it (Matlab) behaves as do they (C i/o).

That it (as well as much else about C formatted i/o, but really more on
input than output) was a sorry choice I wholeheartedly agree but it's
done and shall never change now, unfortunately.

TMW _should_ however, build in another set of i/o functions that do
follow Fortran-like behavior. Ideally these would also follow Fortran
FORMAT syntax.

Again, file the enhancement request...unfortunately as previously noted
I harped on this years ago and it never received a lick of attention.
My license support lapsed and at that point TMW wouldn't even accept
offered bug reports so I gave up the crusade to simply harranguing here
in cs-sm when the subject arises (as it doesn't quite regularly).

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
Read textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Derek Goring
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/22/13