Topic: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Replies: 19   Last Post: Oct 22, 2013 5:13 PM

dpb

Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace

On 10/2/2013 4:16 PM, Norbert Marwan wrote:
> dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <l2hv9g$6ah$1@speranza.aioe.org>...

>> You'd have to ask the authors of C the "why". It's what they chose to
>> do on input scanning and since Matlab i/o is built around the C
>> library functions, it (Matlab) behaves as do they (C i/o).

> ok, i see i misunderstood your point with C in your last reply.
>
> this strange behaviour can be remain as it is, but a simple convenient
> solution would be that when i specify the whitespace-option in the
> textread-function, this would then overwrite this stupid behaviour of
> jumping over white spaces.

That seems (at least superficially) to solve the syntax issue; I'm not
sure given that they're using C i/o what grief one would get into in
actually implementing it in the other functions--I'm afraid it could
really bollox up the works there for the routine cases that are
C-consistent and that probably isn't, overall, a good tradeoff.

I still think (and will to my last session at the keyboard before they
finally pull the plug) that despite Tideman's resignation there should
be a FORMAT-compatible set of i/o functions.

--

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Derek Goring
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/2/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
Norbert Marwan
10/3/13
Read Re: textread/textscan not reading formatted text with whitespace
dpb
10/22/13