Topic: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 9, 2013 10:23 AM

quasi

Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane

quasi wrote:
>Michael F. Stemper wrote:
>>Eric Lafontaine wrote:

>>> I must have missed something?
>>> Place an equilateral triangle anywhere on the plane
>>> Set one of its corners white, another one black
>>> What do you do with the third one?

>>That was my reaction, as well.
>>

>>> Next question: what kind of plane makes equilateral
>>> triangles impossible?

>>How about the Gaussian integers?

>Geometrically, we can cast the underlying set of the ring Z[i]
>as the subset Z^2 of R^2.
>
>Just color the point (x,y) white if x + y is even, black if
>x + y is odd.
>

>>Is there something similar to the Gaussian integers, but for
>>rationals? In other words, {a+bi | a,b in Q}

>The field Q(i).
>
>Geometrically, we can cast the underlying set of the field Q(i)
>as the subset Q^2 of R^2.
>

>>You can't have equilateral triangles in whatever this would
>>be called,

>Right.
>

>>but would it have the property initially specified?
>
>Good question.

Actually, I think it's a great question.

I'll state it in full ...

Question:

Does there exist a 2-coloring of Q^2 such that no two points
of Q^2 which are 1 unit apart have the same color?

quasi

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
Read cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
cotpi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Pubkeybreaker
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mike Terry
10/6/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/6/13
[...]
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Phil Carmody
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Eric Lafontaine
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Michael F. Stemper
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Haran Pilpel
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Ted Schuerzinger
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mark Brader
10/3/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
William Elliot