Topic: Sequence limit
Replies: 72   Last Post: Nov 26, 2013 12:07 AM

Karl-Olav Nyberg

Re: Sequence limit

On Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:26:13 PM UTC+2, quasi wrote:
> quasi wrote:
>

> >konyberg wrote:

> >>In general a^0 = 1. lim (n goes inf) 1/n = 0. Then the value
>
> >>of sin(n) doesn't change that a^0 = 1.
>

> >Your logic is flawed.
>

> >Let f(n) = 1/(2^n).
>

> >Then f(n)^(1/n) = 1/2 for all nonzero values of n, hence the
>
> >limit, as n approaches infinity, of f(n)^(1/n) is 1/2, not 1.
>

> >Are there infinitely many positive integers n such that
>

> > |sin(n)|^(1/n) < 1/(2^n)
>

> I meant:
>

> Are there infinitely many positive integers n such that
>

> |sin(n)| < 1/(2^n)
>

> >??
>

> >If so, then the limit of the sequence
>

> > |sin(n)|^(1/n), n = 1,2,3, ...
>

> >does not exist. In particular, it would not be equal to 1.
>

> >In fact, the original question can be recast as:
>

> >Does there exist a real number c with 0 < c < 1 such that
>
> >the inequality
>

> > |sin(n)| < c^n
>

> >holds for infinitely many positive integers n?
>

> quasi

Hi.

Yes I was a bit hasty here. But sin(n) is limited from -1 to +1 (your function isn't limited), and the limit of 1/n is 0. I would think that the limit is 1. The debate will still be what 0^0 is equal to :)

KON

Date Subject Author
10/3/13
Read Sequence limit