Topic: math problems - help
Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 4, 2013 7:14 PM

Christopher J. Henrich

Re: math problems - help

In article <jc4s49lhvr24c5dmpf1jbrjhldmrfpp866@4ax.com>, stony
<x@x.com> wrote:

> Hi, I come here once in a while to get some confusions cleared up or
> get hints on how to solve something. I teach my daughter who is in
> middle school and we come across some problems that stump us.
> Any hints would be appreciate.
>
> The one below, I am missing something in terms of simplifying or some
> series or something. Basically, I have tried combining all the terms
> after expanding it and could not got to a solution that would simplify
> it to prove. It stays in a the expanded form pretty much.
>
> Prove that:
>
> ((1/(a^2+1)) + ((1/(b^2+1)) + ((1/(c^2+1)) <= 1/2

This problem, as you have stated it, makes no sense. It has got to be
incorrectly stated, in some way or another. Perhaps there were
assumptions about the values of a, b, and c that have gotten lost.
Perhaps the algebraic expression is incorrectly copied. (I note that
there are unbalanced parentheses.) You need to find out what the
problem really should have been.

> <= - less than or equal to 1/2
>
> I have grouped them together in several ways, but not come close to
> simplifying the expanded equation. I thought I could be missing a
> simple clue, but cannot come up with it for the past 2 hours. Its not
> homework, but practice which she could not do it and I tried it but
> have not been able to simplify. Thannks for the help.

Chris Henrich
http://www.mathinteract.com
Yes, one can rant about the program designs, but generally things keep getting
more and more confused as time goes on. --Sea Wasp