Replies: 128   Last Post: Dec 8, 2013 3:21 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: The A. F. Timofeev symbolic integration test suite

Albert Rich schrieb:

> On Saturday, October 5, 2013 1:36:36 AM UTC-10, clicl...@freenet.de wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > This being a matter of principle, the choice of model antiderivatives is
> > often just a matter of taste. In examples #16 and #56 you list the
> > simpler but discontinuous ATAN evaluations. Are you retracting your
> > statement of June 18 that "continuity of antiderivatives trumps
> > compactness"?

> No.
>

> > In the evaluation of example #59, -4 + 4*SIN(x)^2 may be simplified to
> > -4*COS(x)^2, and the evaluation of example #70 can (accidentally?) be
> > written more compactly as 1/48*SIN(2*x)^3 - 1/64*SIN(4*x) + x/16.

> A revised version of the Timofeev Chapter 1 test examples and results
> is now available at
>
> http://www.apmaths.uwo.ca/~arich/TimofeevChapter1TestResults.pdf
>
> It incorporates all your suggested changes except for example #70.
> Generally I prefer antiderivatives that involve the same kernels as
> the integrand, even though superficially more complicated. In example
> #70, sin(2x) and sin(4x) do not occur in the integrand, but sin(x) and
> cos(x) do. However of course, systems that return antiderivatives in
> multiangle form should be given full credit for their answers. Like
> you say, it's just a matter of taste.

I had my doubts about this one too.

> I did make the optimal results for examples #16 and #56 continuous as
> you suggested. However, all the systems tested, except Derive, return
> the more compact, but discontinuous antiderivative. Note that even
> Derive returns the discontinuous form when single-stepping through the
> integration. Currently, I am being lenient (and perhaps unfair to
> Derive) and giving full credit to all the systems for these two
> examples. Do you concur with this grade?

I always suspected that Derive wants to keep some of its secrets from
the competition! And I am not glad to hear that Rubi no longer returns
continuous antiderivatives for this type of integrand - but I suppose
that's easily put back in. Otherwise I concur absolutely.

Martin.

Date Subject Author
clicliclic@freenet.de
clicliclic@freenet.de