Topic: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 9, 2013 10:23 AM

quasi

Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane

quasi wrote:
>David Bernier wrote:
>>
>>Suppose we are looking for finite plane point-configurations
>>that must use at least 4 colours. Suppose Q is such as
>>configuration.
>>
>>If Z is a point in the configuration Q, and Z has
>>two or fewer points in Q at unit-distance from Z,
>>then it seems to me harmless to delete the Point Z
>>from the configuration, meaning that
>>Q less Z would still need at least 4 colours.
>>
>>But is it really true? and if so, how could one
>>prove it?

>The proof is easy.
>
>In general, we have the following proposition:
>
>If G is graph with chi(G) = n and v is a vertex of G
>with deg(v) < n-1 then chi(G-v) = n.
>
>proof:
>
>Assume the hypothesis.
>
>Since G-v is a subgraph of G, chi(G-V) <= n
>
>Suppose chi(G-v) < n.
>
>Choose some such coloring of G-v. Now color G the same way,
>leaving vertex v temporarily uncolored.
>
>Case 1: chi(G) <= n-2.
>
>Then we can color v with an entrirely new color (not one of
>the ones used for G-v), which would imply chi(G) <= n-1,
>contrary to chi(G) = n.
>
>Case 2: chi(G) = n-1
>
>Since deg(v) < n-1, there are at most n-2 vertices of G which
>are adjacent to v, hence at most n-2 colors are used for those
>vertices. It follows that of the n-1 colors used to color G-v,
>at least one of those colors is still available to color v.
>But that meaans chi(G) <= n-1, contrary to chi(G) = n.
>
>It follows that chi(G) = n, as was to be shown.

I meant:

It follows that chi(G-v) = n, as was to be shown.

quasi

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
Read cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
cotpi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Pubkeybreaker
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mike Terry
10/6/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/6/13
[...]
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Phil Carmody
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Eric Lafontaine
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Michael F. Stemper
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Haran Pilpel
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Ted Schuerzinger
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mark Brader
10/3/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
William Elliot