Topic: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 9, 2013 10:23 AM

Phil Carmody

Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane

David Bernier <david250@videotron.ca> writes:
> On 10/02/2013 10:29 PM, Mike Terry wrote:
> > "quasi" <quasi@null.set> wrote in message

> >> No, your proof is fine.

> > The question was asked here a few years ago whether the plane can be
> > coloured along the lines above but using three colours. The answer is no,
> > and the proof is similar but less obvious...

> [...]
>
> There is a web-page called "Chromatic Number of the Plane" by
> Alexander Bogomolny that briefly discusses the question of
> the minimum number of colours needed.
>
> The relevant definition, copied from there, is:
> ``The smallest number of colors needed in a coloring of the plane to
> ensure that no monochromatic pair is at the unit distance apart is
> called the chromatic number Chi of the plane."
>
> Ref.:
> < http://www.cut-the-knot.org/proofs/ChromaticNumber.shtml > .
>
> Two or three colours won't do, from which we see that Chi >= 4.
> A 7-colouring of a regular-hexagon tiling of the plane shows
> that seven colours will do, from which we see that Chi <= 7.

Follow-up questions:
1) What range(s) of edge-length for said hexagon yield a valid tiling?

2) Does Golomb's ten-vertex four-colour graph have to be rotationally
symmetric?

My brief quick stabs at answers are hidden in my headers, I welcome
corrections.

Phil
--
The list of trusted root authorities in your browser included the
United Arab Emirates-based Etisalat, which was caught secretly

Date Subject Author
10/2/13
Read cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
cotpi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Pubkeybreaker
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mike Terry
10/6/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/6/13
[...]
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Phil Carmody
10/9/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
David Bernier
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Eric Lafontaine
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Michael F. Stemper
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Haran Pilpel
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
quasi
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Ted Schuerzinger
10/2/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
Mark Brader
10/3/13
Read Re: cotpi 69 - Black and white plane
William Elliot