Topic: input string used as function input
Replies: 4   Last Post: Oct 11, 2013 3:48 PM

Jason

Re: input string used as function input

TideMan <mulgor@gmail.com> wrote in message <a9712799-9ef9-426b-921c-c2b281e93618@googlegroups.com>...
> On Friday, October 11, 2013 10:28:05 AM UTC+13, Jason wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I would like to take an input string and convert it to a function name.
> >

> > For example I have the arrays A=[1,2],B=[2,3],C=[4,5]. I then get user input "A,B". I want to take that string and convert it to reference to the arrays A and B to put into a function that requires 2 arrays as input myFun(array1,array2). That way i can also get input "B,C" and pass in B and C into my function.

> The best way is to use a structure which has fields s.A, s.B, and s.C
> Then you can get the fields as strings and refer to them like this:
> myFun(s.(string1),s.(string2))
> where string1 and string2 are 'A','B', or 'C'
>
> If someone tries to tell you that that the evil function eval is the way to go, ignore them. Use of eval inevitably results in grief.

I think I'm getting closer but I cant figure out how to have the input turn into the function input. My code looks like this:

d = dir('*.xlsx');
file_list = {d.name}';

for i=1:size(file_list)
arr.(char('A'+i-1))=i;%xlsread(file_list{i});
file_list{i,2}=char('A'+i-1);
fprintf('Reading %s \n',file_list{i});
%arr.character=xlsread(file_list{i})
end

file_list
input('Enter Letters','s')
output=myfun('y',_________)

I would like to have the input be a variable size so if i have 10 excel files labelled from A->J I can put 'A,B,C,F,H' and it would use those structures as inputs to my function. So it will become myfun('y',A,B,C,F,H).