Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Dan Christensen

On Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:28:33 AM UTC-4, Bart Goddard wrote:
> Dan Christensen <Dan_Christensen@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> > To follow-up on my previous postings at sci.math
>

> ...because you think garbage will evolve into real
>
> mathematics if you just keep repeating it...?
>

> Your assertion is that 0^0 can be defined to be
>
> any value and yet have all the usual rules of
>
> exponents apply.

As I show in Theorem 4, if we avoid base values of 0, we have x^y * x^z = x^(y+z). Likewise for the other Laws of Exponents (Theorems 5 and 7). In practice, this no more onerous a restriction than disallowing zero denominators.

While we can't use Theorem 4 to prove that 0^2 * 0^3 = 0^(2+3), we can still prove by other means that 0^2 * 0^3 = 1 and 0^(2+3) = 1.

> You've been given examples
>
> that show this is a false statement and have
>
> declined to respond to those examples.

I don't recall any such examples.

> Note that each of your "theorems" about the
>
> rules of exponents specifically exclude using
>
> 0 as a base.

Yes.

> Using "logic" like this, you could
>
> define 3^2 to be anything and just word your
>
> theorems "If a is not 3, then these rules work."

Using my definition of ^ of N, if you assume any value for 3^2 other than 9, you will get a contradiction.

> So you're asserting that 0^0 can be defined any
>
> way one wants, and it won't matter, _provided that
>
> one doesn't actually look at 0^0.

[snip rubbish]

It works because you will still have the same values at every other point. It just formalizes what has been the practice by mathematicians for nearly two centuries -- leaving 0^0 undefined. (Yes, many still cling to 0^0=1.)

Dan
Visit my new math blog at http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen