Replies: 163   Last Post: Nov 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Peter Percival

Dan Christensen wrote:

> You can avoid the contradictions by stipulating non-zero bases in
> each of the Laws of Exponents, as I have done here (see Theorems 4,5
> and 7). It's no big deal. While there are still some hold-outs for
> 0^0=1, mathematicians have been leaving 0^0 undefined in this way for
> nearly two centuries (starting with Cauchy in the early 19th
> century).

What was it that Cauchy left undefined: natural number nought to the
power of natural number nought, or real number nought to the power of
real number nought?

When I last asked a similar question (16/10/2013 19:49 sci.logic) you
replied "I don't think it matters." Which is odd to say the least.

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Lincoln at Gettysburg

Date Subject Author
Dan Christensen
Brian Q. Hutchings