Replies: 87   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 2:44 PM

Peter Percival

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 19/10/2013 5:23 AM, Peter Percival wrote:
>> Nam Nguyen wrote:
>>

>>> What definition of "invalidity" were you referring to _here_ ? Mine?
>>
>> If you use the word "invalidity" is newsgroups called sci.logic and
>> sci.math then it should probably be with its usual technical meaning. If
>> you use it in another sense you should probably say what sense that is
>> right from the start.

> I already did in this very thread define one or two forms of invalidity
> for meta statements. If you don't remember then say so and I'll try to
> cite the post for you.
>
> In any rate, one of the forms is that:
>
> H => C

And is => the truth-functional if-then? If not, what is it?

> where it's impossible to know the truth value of H given all available

And impossibility and knowing are governed by what modal and epistemic
logics? If none, how are we to understand "impossible to know"?

> definitions, permissible reasoning methods within the underlying logic
> framework [FOL(=) in this case.]

In FOL(=) there are no binary connectives that aren't truth functional,
so I'm going to suppose that => is the truth-functional if-then. Nor
are there any modal or epistemic operators, so I'm still in the dark
regarding "impossible to know".

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Lincoln at Gettysburg

Date Subject Author
namducnguyen
Peter Percival