Replies: 87   Last Post: Oct 25, 2013 2:44 PM

Peter Percival

Nam Nguyen wrote:
> On 19/10/2013 11:54 AM, Peter Percival wrote:
>> Nam Nguyen wrote:

>>> I already did in this very thread define one or two forms of invalidity
>>> for meta statements. If you don't remember then say so and I'll try to
>>> cite the post for you.
>>>
>>> In any rate, one of the forms is that:
>>>
>>> H => C

>> And is => the truth-functional if-then? If not, what is it?
>>

>>> where it's impossible to know the truth value of H given all available
>>
>> And impossibility and knowing are governed by what modal and epistemic
>> logics? If none, how are we to understand "impossible to know"?
>>

>>> definitions, permissible reasoning methods within the underlying logic
>>> framework [FOL(=) in this case.]

>> In FOL(=) there are no binary connectives that aren't truth functional,
>> so I'm going to suppose that => is the truth-functional if-then. Nor
>> are there any modal or epistemic operators, so I'm still in the dark
>> regarding "impossible to know".

> Why don't you comment about my definition of "impossible to know"
> in this context?
>
> (It has to do with a collection of truths in meta level).

Done elsewhere. And why don't _you_ answer my points above? One rule
for Nam and another for his interlocutors (at least so Nam hopes).

--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Lincoln at Gettysburg

Date Subject Author
namducnguyen
Peter Percival