Topic: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 22, 2013 4:57 PM

walter Mulvany

Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <l3uf4n$nm4$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 10/19/2013 11:03 AM, walter Mulvany wrote:
> > I'm writing a code for finite element analysis and I don't know how to
> > read a value from a matrix (A) and use it as a pointer to direct me to
> > values in another matrix.
> > Here is a sample of the problem.

> > connectivity=[1,1,2;2,1,3;3,2,3]
> > coordinates=[1,0,0;2,2,0;3,1,2]
> > I need to read element's 1 node(a) which in this case is 1, and use that
> > 1 to direct me to the node 1, extract the x and y coordinate from node
> > 1, and create a matrix.

> Well, it's not clear which you're after, but it's simple enough to find
> a location in an array by value and get the associated information from
> some other for that.
>
> If ask for points in connectivity array that include node 1, that's given by
>

> >> conn=[1,1,2;2,1,3;3,2,3];
> >> coord=[1,0,0;2,2,0;3,1,2];
> >> idx=any(conn==1,2) % row indices of any connections w/ a '1'

> idx =
> 1
> 1
> 0

> >> coord(idx,:) % get those rows' coordinates...
> ans =
> 1 0 0
> 2 2 0

> >> coord(any(conn==1,2),:) % do it w/o the intermediate variable
> ans =
> 1 0 0
> 2 2 0

> Look in subject index for "logical addressing" ...
>
> --

Thank you for your input.
This program is supposed to work on a matrix of approximate 100 elements and what I'm looking for is that every time nodeax(i) iterate, it looks at the element (i), extract the value of the node (a), then with that value(ex: 3) it goes to the node 3 in the coordinates matrix and extract the (x) value of that node and creates nodeax matrix of size[2,nelem].
Again, thank you for your help, and sorry, but I don't have any experience programming and this is my first program.

Date Subject Author
10/19/13
Read data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/19/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
dpb
10/19/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/19/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
dpb
10/19/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/20/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
dpb
10/20/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/20/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
dpb
10/20/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/21/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/21/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
dpb
10/21/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
dpb
10/21/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/21/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
dpb
10/21/13
Read Re: data extraction from matrix to use in another matrix
walter Mulvany
10/22/13